The Half Deck - 1 bedroom property in Porthcurno
Porthcurno, Land's End, West Cornwall
|Price Per Week||£318 - £685|
|Short Breaks Available||Yes|
|Walking Distance from Beach||Yes|
Self catering apartment, Porthcurno, pets welcome
The Half Deck (the term for the portion of deck below the spar deck on a sailing ship) is a 1-bedroomed (can be twin or double), ground floor apartment in an attractive building, once part of the Cable & Wireless training school. It had a complete refurbishment in 2018 and has since welcomed many guests and we already have several repeat bookings.
For 2019 the owners have added two additional dining chairs so that there is flexibility to invite friends to share a meal.
It's just 10 minutes walk to the famous Minack Theatre. Land's End and the sandy, surfing beach at Sennen Cove are just 3 miles away. Porthcurno beach cafe is 3 minutes walk, ideal for morning coffee or a cream tea. The Cable Station Inn is 1 minute away.
With a beach to rival the Caribbean just a short walk away, The Half Deck is nestled in the picturesque valley in Porthcurno. The perfect spot to lounge by the sea, walk the adjacent coastal path or watch a performance at the Minack Theatre. Porthcurno was the site of the first undersea cable connecting Britain with India in 1870 and the Telegraph Museum is worth a visit to learn more. The traditional Logan Rock pub at Treen is 2 miles away.
Reasons to choose this property:
- 6 minute walk from the beach
- Ideal base for Minack theatre actors or for attending a performance
- Free use of tennis courts opposite
- Two allocated parking spaces
- Patio, face south, with garden furniture
- Light and airy with french doors leading to the patio
- Accepts pets
|Location||Porthcurno, Land's End, West Cornwall|
|Bedrooms||1: The bed is zip linked so can be used as a double or two singles|
|Times||Check-in Time: 1600
|Price Per Week||£318 - £685|
|Entrance||Situated on the ground floor
Entryphone system works from the front door only
|Bathroom||Bathroom with shower|
|Kitchen||Well equipped kitchen with oven/hob, microwave, washer/dryer, fridge/freezer and dishwasher, peninsula unit. Dining area now has 4 chairs|
|Heating||New heating has been installed|
|Included||Bedlinen, towels (not beach towels), electricity and heating|
|Garden/Patio||Yes: French doors leading on to the patio|
|Parking||Yes: Two allocated parking spaces in private car park|
|Walking distance from beach||Yes: Just 200 yards from one of the most beautiful beaches in the country|
|TV/Music||TV with Freeview channels, dvd|
|Internet/Broadband||Yes: Wifi available|
The mobile signal works on the Vodafone network only
|Other facilities||Free use of tennis courts opposite the apartment|
|Cot/Highchair||Yes: Please bring your own bedding|
One dog is accepted.
Minimum Inventory (* may be present in some properties but not all)
|One per property||
|Two per property||
|One per person (& 2 spare)||
|For the bathroom||
|For open fires/wood-burners||
|Household items (initial supply)||
When you reach Penzance stay on the A30 and follow the signs for Land's End. Approximately 3 miles outside Penzance take the left turn signposted to the Minack. Drive through St. Buryan and continue (watching out for the hairpin bend!) until you see a left turn signposted to Porthcurno. Drive down into the valley - Zodiac House is the white building on the righthandside, opposite the tennis courts. There is a gate across the entrance - for loading and unloading purposes only it is possible to drive through this gate. To find The Half Deck go through the gate at the side of the property and the entrance to the central block is in the back left corner. The car park is opposite the apartments and the two allocated parking spaces are marked on the ground with the number 6.
Map Reference: SW 383 226
- this apartment is on the ground floor
- shower room has non slip mat
- doorways only wide enough for a narrow wheelchair
- parking is across the road in allocated spaces, you can park outside the apartment for loading/unloading purposes only
- bus stop opposite
- cordless kettle provided in kitchen
- website available in large print format
- staff attended Welcome All course so trained in disability awareness
- mobile phones only work on the Vodafone network, phone provided
- equipment hire available for wheelchairs, vibrating alarm clocks etc.
- assistance dogs accepted
- no smoking
20% deposit required on booking - various payment methods available including personal debit cards, bank transfer, cheque. Corporate/business cards will attract a charge
Cancellation insurance recommended - see terms and conditions
I have had quite a few complaints from owners about the way properties have been left when dogs have been there. So, to try and prevent any owners from changing their minds about accepting dogs, it would be helpful if you could have a look at the following suggestions:
- Don’t allow your dogs to damage furniture and fittings – bring a throw if you know they will go on furniture or beds
- Clean up any dog hair
- Don’t leave dogs in the property alone if you know they are likely to scratch the paintwork or bark incessantly
- Pick up after your pets in the garden
- Bring a towel to wipe your pet if they get wet or muddy
- Ensure that dogs arrive free of fleas and freshly groomed to ensure there are no lingering smells
Dog friendly information for the area
All the properties on this site are situated either adjacent or just minutes away from a network of paths including the main coastal path.
Some beaches ban dogs from Easter to the end of September but allow dogs on the beach in the early morning and evening. The rules in St. Ives are being changed to ban dogs all year round on most of their beaches. Beaches nearby which do accept dogs all year round are Nanjizel, Pedn Vounder, Gwenver, Priests Cove, Boat Cove, Portheras Cove, Long Rock, and Porthkidney Sands . See map for current arrangements.